Book Image

Agile Technical Practices Distilled

By : Pedro M. Santos, Marco Consolaro, Alessandro Di Gioia
Book Image

Agile Technical Practices Distilled

By: Pedro M. Santos, Marco Consolaro, Alessandro Di Gioia

Overview of this book

The number of popular technical practices has grown exponentially in the last few years. Learning the common fundamental software development practices can help you become a better programmer. This book uses the term Agile as a wide umbrella and covers Agile principles and practices, as well as most methodologies associated with it. You’ll begin by discovering how driver-navigator, chess clock, and other techniques used in the pair programming approach introduce discipline while writing code. You’ll then learn to safely change the design of your code using refactoring. While learning these techniques, you’ll also explore various best practices to write efficient tests. The concluding chapters of the book delve deep into the SOLID principles - the five design principles that you can use to make your software more understandable, flexible and maintainable. By the end of the book, you will have discovered new ideas for improving your software design skills, the relationship within your team, and the way your business works.
Table of Contents (31 chapters)
Free Chapter
Section 1
Section 2
Section 3
Section 4
Chapter 21
License: CyberDojo

Refactor 80-20 Rule

From our experience, we've learned that 80% of the value in refactoring comes from improving the readability and understandability of code. The remaining 20% comes from design changes. We will thus focus on the first 80%.

Once we are comfortable with basic refactoring movements and choreographies, it is time to apply this new practice to code. In the refactoring golf exercise, we were given a starting point and an end point. In a real refactoring session, the endpoint is an imaginary point.

We created a checklist to help you approach refactoring code. It includes rules, tips, and a sequence we can follow. As always, once we get more proficient with our refactoring and design skills, we can leave this list behind us.