For ingesting, storing and alerting on our metrics, we shall explore another, quite popular open-source project called Prometheus:
Prometheus is an open-source systems monitoring and alerting toolkit originally built at SoundCloud.
Prometheus's main features are:
-a multi-dimensional data model (time series identified by metric name and key/value pairs)
- a flexible query language to leverage this dimensionality
- no reliance on distributed storage; single server nodes are autonomous
- time series collection happens via a pull model over HTTP
- pushing time series is supported via an intermediary gateway
- targets are discovered via service discovery or static configuration
- multiple modes of graphing and dashboarding support
Even though it is the kind of system that takes care of pretty much everything, the project still follows the popular UNIX philosophy of modular development. Prometheus is composed of multiple components...