Book Image

Implementing Modern DevOps

By : Danny Varghese, David Gonzalez
Book Image

Implementing Modern DevOps

By: Danny Varghese, David Gonzalez

Overview of this book

This book follows a unique approach to modern DevOps using cutting-edge tools and technologies such as Ansible, Kubernetes, and Google Cloud Platform. This book starts by explaining the organizational alignment that has to happen in every company that wants to implement DevOps in order to be effective, and the use of cloud datacenters in combination with the most advanced DevOps tools to get the best out of a small team of skilled engineers. It also delves into how to use Kubernetes to run your applications in Google Cloud Platform, minimizing the friction and hassle of maintaining a cluster but ensuring its high availability. By the end of this book, you will be able to realign teams in your company and create a Continuous Delivery pipeline with Kubernetes and Docker. With strong monitoring in place, you will also be able to react to adverse events in your system, minimizing downtime and improving the overall up-time and stability of your system.
Table of Contents (17 chapters)
Title Page
About the Author
About the Reviewer
Customer Feedback


So far, we have seen a large number of tools that we can use as DevOps engineers in our company to enhance our capabilities. Now we are able to provision servers with Ansible, create Kubernetes clusters on Google Cloud Platform, and set up a delivery pipeline for our microservices. We have also dived deep into how Docker works and how we should organize our company to be a successful delivering software.

In this chapter, we are going to take a look at the missing piece of the puzzle: monitoring. Usually overlooked, monitoring is, in my opinion, a key component of a successful DevOps company. Monitoring is the first line of defense against problems. In Chapter 8, Release Management – Continuous Delivery, we talked about how we should shift our focus toward being able to fix the arising problems rather than spending a huge amount of resources in trying to prevent them:

20 percent of your time will create 80 percent of the functionality. The other 20 percent is going to cost you...