Testing is an important part of programming, whether it is in Go or in any other language. Go has a straightforward approach to writing tests, and in this section, we will look at some important tools to help with testing.
There are certain rules and conventions we need to follow to test our code. They can be listed as follows:
- Source files and associated test files are placed in the same package/folder
- The name of the test file for any given source file is <source-file-name>_test.go
- Test functions need to have the "Test" prefix, and the next character in the function name should be capitalized
In the remainder of this section, we will look at three files and their associated tests:
- variadic.go and variadic_test.go
- addInt.go and addInt_test.go
- nil_test.go (there isn't any source file for these tests)
Along the way, we will introduce any further concepts we might use.