Cryptography is the practice of securing communications even when a third-party can view those communications. There are two-way symmetric and asymmetric encryption methods, as well as one-way hashing algorithms.
Encryption is a critical part of the modern internet. With services such as LetsEncrypt.com, everyone has access to trusted SSL certificates. Our entire infrastructure relies on and trusts encryption to work to keep all our confidential data secret. It is important to properly encrypt and hash data correctly, and it is easy to misconfigure a service, leaving it vulnerable or exposed.
This chapter covers examples and use cases for the following:
- Symmetric and asymmetric encryption
- Signing and verifying messages
- Storing passwords securely
- Generating secure random numbers
- Creating and using TLS/SSL certificates