At this point, we have installed pfSense and performed much of the basic configuration. We have already done the following:
- Determined our hardware requirements
- Installed pfSense
- Assigned and configured interfaces
- Set up SSH access
- Added VLANs, if necessary
Now we are ready to configure several of the essential services that our pfSense system will provide:
- The DHCP/DHCP6 service will enable clients to obtain IP addresses automatically.
- The DNS server will enable clients to resolve hostnames to IP addresses.
- The dynamic DNS service will allow pfSense to update a host’s DNS record when that host’s IP address changes.