If you managed to skim through some parts of this chapter, you might want to recap on a few essential details about Linux processes and daemons:
- Think of a few process types. How would they compare to each other?
- Think of the anatomy of a process. Can you come up with a few essential process attributes (or fields in the
pscommand-line output) that you may look for when inspecting processes?
- Can you think of a few process states and some of the dynamics or possible transitions between them?
- If you are looking for a process that takes up most of the CPU on your system, how would you proceed?
- Can you write a simple script and make it a long-lived background process?
- Enumerate at least four process signals that you can think of. When or how would those signals be invoked?
- Think of a couple of IPC mechanisms. Try to come up with some pros and cons for them.