Modernization Strategies and Patterns – the Big Picture
The strategy, or strategies, available for you to modernize a legacy system to Azure will largely depend on your goals for running the system you wish to migrate. We will discuss in detail the following four migration goals, and what strategies might work best for each type of goal:
- Exiting the existing data center as quickly as possible
- Taking a multi-step (staged) approach
- Modernizing to a cloud-native infrastructure
- Redesigning the system for Azure
Each category will likely have more than one modernization strategy available. It’s up to you to pick the best approach for your situation.
This chapter will cover the following topics:
- Data center exit – how to get to Azure as quickly as possible
- Redesigning for Azure – completely changing the application
- Staged modernization strategy – taking a multi-step approach
Let’s start with the...