Exploring tools for CI/CD
The tooling landscape for CI/CD and DevOps is massive and changes almost every month. There's no right or wrong answer in choosing the toolset, as long as it fits the need of the enterprise and people are trained in the usage of the tools. In this section, the native CI/CD tooling in the major clouds are discussed: Azure DevOps, AWS CodePipeline and CloudFormation and Google Cloud Build. We will also look at tooling for Alibaba Cloud and OCI.
First, we will look at Kubernetes, since that will be likely be the platform that we’ll use in multi-cloud. Key components of Kubernetes CI/CD are:
- Container management
- Cluster operations
- Configuration management for the underlying infrastructure
- Version control system
- Image registries for Docker container images.
- Security testing and audits
- Continuous monitoring and observability
To create a good pipeline, we should consider the following design principles:
- All-in-one CI/CD tool instead of cloud-specific...