An Item template is a set of attributes that enable the 'quick' creation of an Item. In this recipe, we will create an Item template that can be used to create many similar Items. We will copy from the Finished Good template to our new template called ACME Finished Good.
Let's list the steps required to create an Item template:
1. Navigate to Setup | Items | Templates.
3. From the Find Item Templates form, click on New button or press Alt+N.
5. In the Description field, enter a suitable description, for example, enter ACME Finished Good Template.
6. Select Copy Template from the Tools menu.
7. We can use this form to select the attributes groups that we want to copy from the Finished Good template.
8. Click on the Apply button.
9. Click on the Done button.
10. In the dialog box presented to us, with the message "Do you want to save the changes you have made?", click on the Yes button.
Item templates can be created from scratch. To make the template creation process easier, Oracle has provided us with a number of seeded templates as a starting point to copy from. We can also combine templates and manually amend the attributes to define our template. When we copy from an existing template, we have choices that determine how the copy will occur.
Let's amend the template to allow us to automatically populate the template with some default values. Let's create an Item and apply the amended template to the Item.
1. Search for the ACME Finished Good template by navigating to Setup | Items | Templates.
2. Enter ACME Finished Good in the Template field and click on the Find button.
3. Click on the Open button to view the template.
Default Buyer: Stock, Ms. Pat
Input Tax Classification Code: VAT-15%
Allow Description Update: Yes
Receipt Required: Yes
5. Save the template.
Over-Receipt Qty Action: Warning
Receipt Routing: Direct Delivery
Days Early Receipt Allowed: 5
Days Late Receipt Allowed: 2
Receipt Date Action: Warning
7. Save the template.
8. In the Attributes Group region, select Invoicing and enter some default values, for example:
Accounting Rule: Immediate
Payment Terms: Immediate
9. Save the template.
1. Navigate to Items | Master Items.
2. Enter the Item code and description.
3. Select Copy From in the Tools menu.
5. Click on the Done button. This action will validate the template created.
7. Save the Item.