Working with The Things Network
TTN enforces a few constraints that you need to be aware of before you start using it. These include the following:
- Only transmitting binary data
- Keeping data sizes as small as possible
- Avoiding continuous data transmission
- Utilizing an Adaptive Data Rate (ADR)
- Avoiding downlink messages if possible
- Avoiding confirmed uplinks
You can get started by visiting https://www.thethingsnetwork.org/ and creating an account. When you log in, you will be met with a console that lets you manage either applications or gateways. The top of the console looks like the following.
Figure 7.2 – TTN console
Let’s take a look at gateways.
Understanding gateways on TTN
When you visit the Gateways...