kIn the previous chapter, we saw the necessity for software companies to move fast. This has an impact on the infrastructure and runtime environments and on the way teams of engineers are working together. The motivations behind modern environments are scalability, flexibility and minimizing time and effort.
Development workflows are even more important than the infrastructure alone. The whole process of writing source code until the running application is in production should be specified in a reasonable and productive way. Again, moving fast in a fast-moving world implies that these processes run automated and reliably with as little human intervention as possible.
This chapter will cover the following topics:
- The motivations and necessity of Continuous Delivery
- The contents of a productive pipeline
- How to automate all steps involved
- How to sustainably ensure and improve software quality
- The required team culture and habits