In this chapter, we discussed the common build tools available for building a C or C++ project. As part of this chapter:
- We discussed the need for a build system.
- We introduced Make, one of the oldest build systems available for C and C++ projects.
- We introduced Autotools and CMake, two famous build script generators.
- We showed how CMake can be used to generate the required Makefiles.
- We discussed Ninja and we showed how CMake can be used to generate Ninja build scripts.
- We demonstrated how Bazel can be used to build a C project.
- Finally, we provided some links to a number of online discussions regarding the comparison of various build systems.