Should my company adopt microservices?
As with all technology initiatives, microservices come with trade-offs. What might be a great fit for one company might be a terrible fit for yours. Be sure to have a wide discussion with your team and be honest about the challenges ahead. Some questions you might want to answer:
- Do we have the expertise to run a distributed system? If not, what is our strategy to hire that expertise or train our staff?
- Do we have the necessary tooling in place to monitor a distributed system? If not, will we get the budget and time to put these in place?
- Which platform will we use to manage our distributed system? Kubernetes? Something else?
- How comfortable is our team with the said platform?
- How comfortable are our teams with building and owning their own CI/CD pipelines?
All these questions are basically lower-level questions that roll up to the ultimate question: will leadership invest the money and give us the time to do this...