The following are the steps involved in a Hardware hacking methodology methodology:
- Information gathering and recon
- External and internal analysis of the device
- Identifying communication interfaces
- Acquiring data using hardware communication techniques
- Software exploitation using hardware exploitation methods
- Backdooring (optional)
Let's go into each of them, one by one, and understand each of these steps at a deeper level.
The first step in an embedded device hacking methodology is to gather as much information as possible about the target that we are working with. Now this may sound simple, but in the cases of embedded devices, this might be a bit more complicated than we might think. The information about a target device is usually limited-at least from a very high-level view-given the fact that in order to gain a relevant amount of information about the device, we will need access to the physical device itself.
But even before doing...