As we know, OpenStack uses different projects to enable you to deploy to the cloud. The neutron project is responsible for providing network services. It provides tenant facing APIs to define network connectivity and IP addressing for instances.
OpenStack networking comes with the following components:
- Neutron server: This runs on the network node to provide networking APIs and its extensions. Neutron plugins let the neutron server access the database via an asynchronous message queue (AMQP).
- Plugin agent: This runs on compute nodes to manage the local vSwitch and also check which agent is running.
- DHCP agent: This is used to provide DHCP services for tenants.
- Neutron L3-agent: This is used to provide external network access to VMs running inside the tenant network.
- SDN: This service interacts with the neutron server, neutron plugin, and plugin agent.