Installing a dedicated code editor/text editor
Most operating systems provide a built-in text editor. While it is possible to create WordPress plugins using such a simple tool, it is highly recommended to install a dedicated code editor on your computer to simplify your plugin development work.
- PHP syntax highlighting
- Completion of PHP function names
- Ability to search across multiple files
- Ability to highlight all instances of search keyword(s) or selected text
- Line numbering
- Ability to resize the editor text or specify a replacement font
- Possibility of opening multiple files simultaneously
The following editors contain most or all of these key features. Most are free tools, but some are paid applications.
- Visual Studio Code (https://code.visualstudio.com) ...