PWA distinctive features
Let’s start by summarizing the main distinctive characteristics of a PWA:
- Progressive: A PWA should work for every user, regardless of the platform and/or browser used.
- Responsive: They must adapt well to any form factor: desktop, mobile, tablet, and so on.
- Connectivity-independent: They must be able to work offline—at least to some extent, such as informing the user that some features might not work in offline mode—or on low-quality networks.
- App-like: They need to provide the same navigation and interaction mechanics as mobile apps. This includes tap support, gesture-based scrolling, and so on.
- Safe: They must provide HTTPS support for better security, such as preventing snooping and ensuring that their content has not been tampered with.
- Discoverable: They have to be identifiable as web applications using a W3C manifest file and a service worker registration scope so that search engines will...