In this chapter, we will create the base functionality for a matchmaking app. We won't be rating people, however, because of privacy issues. Instead, we will download images from a random source on the internet. This project is for anyone who wants an introduction to how to write reusable controls. We will also look at using animations to make our application feel nicer to use. This app will not be a Model-View-ViewModel (MVVM) application since we want to isolate the creation and usage of a control from the slight overhead of MVVM.
The following topics will be covered in this chapter:
- Creating a custom control
- Styling the app to look like a photo, with descriptive text beneath it
- Animations using Xamarin.Forms
- Subscribing to custom events
- Reusing the custom control over and over again
- Handling pan gestures