.NET 5 is the latest and greatest in the .NET platform. .NET 5 is the successor of .NET Core 3.1 This chapter takes a short tour through the history of the .NET Framework before diving into what this version brings to the table. The chapter wraps up with a look at utilities and tools you will want to have before proceeding with exploring the details in the chapters that follow. We will cover a broad range of topics, including cross-platform usage of .NET, different methods for creating the visual layer, backend components such as identity and data access, as well as cloud technologies.
We will cover the following topics in this chapter:
- Explaining ASP.NET Core
- Refreshing your C# knowledge
- Learning what's new with .NET 5 and C# 9
- Understanding websites and web servers
- Exploring Visual Studio Code
- Leveraging Windows Terminal