Sharing and visibility are the cornerstones of data security in Salesforce. In the context of a business, the first decision that an organization makes is whether to have an open policy, which means all the users can see all the records. Depending on the nature of the business, this is not always possible and some records and/or fields need to be secure and only visible to certain people. If this is the case, the system needs to be set to completely private from the start; then, access is granted using several layers of administration features.
In this chapter, we will cover the following sharing and visibility security features in detail:
- Using organization-wide defaults
- Understanding the role hierarchy and its use
- What sharing rules are and how they are used
- What team access is and how it is used
- What profiles are and how they are used...