Implementing a CD strategy
- In-place deployment: Update application in a current server
- Rolling deployment: Gradually roll out the new version in the existing fleet of servers
- Blue-green deployment: Gradually replace the existing server with the new server
- Red-black deployment: Instant cutover to the new server from the existing server
- Immutable deployment: Stand up a new set of servers altogether
Let's explore each option in more detail.
In-place deployment is a method of rolling out a new application version on an existing fleet of servers. The update is done in one deployment action, thereby requiring some degree of downtime. On the other side, there are hardly any infrastructure changes needed for this update. There is also no need to...