Process terms and definitions
There are key terms related to configuration management; the definitions are as follows:
- Configuration management system: This is the logical entity containing the CMDBs and other information sources to manage data and information about the operational environments.
- CMDB: This is the repository where CIs and their attributes are recorded and maintained. An organization may have one or more CMDBs containing CIs.
- CI: A CI is defined as a service component that must be managed to deliver an IT service. CIs are under the control of change management.
- CI record: A CI record is defined as a set of attributes about a CI. See the examples of CI records in the preceding section.
- Class: A class is defined as the highest level that a set or collection of similar items can be grouped together, such as hardware or software.
- Type: A type is defined as a subset of a class. It is the common name that an asset may be known as, such as a computer...